Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin over load!

Raw pumpkin

Pumpkin seeds ready for dehydrator

Pureed pumpkin

Cooked pumpkin

Well I am pretty sure I have enough pumpkin for the next 2 years, and all I got was two pumpkins. Sheesh...I can see how pumpkins would be the same problem as zucchini's, you always have waaaaaaaaay to much and can never get rid of it, and you pretty much bake and cook and freeze all you can. Well I can see why I will never GROW my own pumpkins, cause I seriously would have no idea what to do with them all.
Today I made three pumpkin pies, pumpkin cinnamon buns ( by the way, WOW, they were freakin good ). I have three large freezer bags filled with the pumpkin goop, and tomorrow I am going to make some pumpkin walnut loaf. THEN, I think I will be all pumpkin'd out!
I have to say though, making pumpkin pie from scratch for the first time was very rewarding and TOTALLY does no taste like store bought.
Here is one of the links I used: http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php and then for the ridiculously yummy buns, try this blog: 
http://ahandmadelife.blogspot.com/2009/05/pumpkin-cinnamon-buns.html
So that was my Nov pumpkin experience, wonder what other new things I shall try this month :-)

2 comments:

  1. Do you roast them after dehydrating? I have a pumpkin I'm fixin to cook and I love the seeds but never have saved them from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary,
    I didn't roast these one's afterwards, however, if you would like a really great flavor you can boil them in water with salt, or garlic, or any seasonings that you like, and then once you have them boiled in your fav seasoning you can roast them on 170 in your oven slowly for a few hours and get a great flavor too. Just depends on what your needs are.

    ReplyDelete